Thursday, October 1, 2015

Day Eleven

Well, while I'm still running behind where I would like to be, yesterday did see some progress made.


I really never dreamed that a quilting ruler would come in so handy for sewing in general. I used to make heavy use of a yardstick but I find the quilting rulers (I have two different sizes) come in even more useful. In this picture, I'm getting the pattern ready to cut off the excess for where the lacing will be in back.

Dress fabric ready to be played with.


Skirt pieces ready to be cut. I was attempting to get the scope of the project here. I opened the fabric up and had it spread out over the length of the table. It really is handy that Joanna is no taller than she is and that she has a slightly dropped waist because I was able to get the entire piece on the table at once without having it hang over the edges.

The skirt is getting two layers of organza. This is the first time pinning the last piece.

And my garbage at the end of the day. Isn't it pretty?
So, I thought things went pretty well, all things considered. Of course, Joanna texted this morning with this question, "Is it too late to make the skirt part longer?"

My first, automatic response was, "Yes." But that isn't entirely truthful. If Laura is willing to let us use a bit of her leftover fabric, I can cut out a strip like I did for Becky's skirt for the actual skirt. There is enough organza I'd be able to cut out a longer one and then we'd end up with one layer of organza as long as the actual skirt and one a bit shorter. Never a dull moment.

Right now, as soon as I'm done here at any rate, I'm working on the panel to go under the lacing in the back. Then, other than the skirt issue which Joanna will come over after work so we can discuss it, I'll be ready for construction. I really want to do the skirt first so I'll probably start by either sewing the shorter layer of organza or making the pattern for the strip at the bottom (assuming Laura lets us use her fabric).

Have a fantastic day!

No comments: