Thursday, April 24, 2014

What is a Doula?


Why do you want to be a doula?
I want to be a doula for many of the same reasons that I want to be a midwife. I have had some very good birth experiences and would like to help other women to have the same. I believe that women have choices when it comes to giving birth and I would like to help them learn what their choices are in order that they can make the best ones for themselves, their babies, and their families.
Birth is a fascinating process to me physiologically, mentally, and spiritually. Birth, like death, is something that each of us must experience. However, each of us is only born once and because of this, each birth should be the best possible experience. I would like to help women achieve this for their babies.
Other than helping women by being a doula, it is also, for me, a stepping stone on my pathway to midwifery.
What personal qualities does a doula possess?
A doula must possess many qualities such as love, compassion, empathy, knowledge, awareness, physical and emotional strength, ability to connect, confidence in her role, humility. A doula must love women, babies, and birth. A doula must have compassion for those with whom she works including not only the birthing woman but her partner and other family members. A doula must have empathy, which is to me a deeper, more complete compassion. A doula must have knowledge not only of the basic process of labor and birth but of basic anatomy and physiology, how to provide comfort, how to deal with different groups of people. Part of her knowledge must include the fact that as much as she has, there is always more to gain.
A doula must be aware not only of those with whom she works but of her surroundings and the emotional, spiritual, and physical ebb and flow around her.  A doula must have physical and emotional strength because birth can be a long process.  Physical strength because a laboring woman may need comfort measures requiring physical strength from the doula for long periods of time and emotional strength because there may be people present who would seek to undermine the work of a doula or challenge her very presence in the birthing room.
A doula must have the ability to connect. Most importantly, she must connect with the laboring woman. As well, it would be beneficial if she can connect with the woman’s partner and with members of the medical team providing care for her. A doula must have confidence in her role. If she is lacking in this area, she might as well not be present.
Perhaps most importantly, a doula must have humility. She must understand that while she is there to help, it is only the woman giving birth who can do that important work. She must understand that while she may have great knowledge, she does not know everything. She must know and understand that her role is that of facilitator, not director of operations.
What skills and knowledge does she need to have?
A doula must have some skills and knowledge. One of the greatest teachers is experience. This experience might come in the form of personally birthing babies or in helping other women along the process. As she gains experience, she is better able to help those around her.
A doula needs to have knowledge of the birth process including basic anatomy in order to better explain to those with whom she works what is happening, what can be expected, and, to an extent, why. A doula should have at least a basic knowledge of both post and antepartum processes and changes. She needs to know common concerns and how to respond to them. A doula should have some basic knowledge of breastfeeding in order to support the woman who chooses do so.
In what ways does she assist a birthing woman and her family?
A doula assists a birthing woman and her family in whatever way she can. Mainly, this consists of supporting a family throughout pregnancy, birth, and beyond.
When a doula meets an expecting mother and her family (understanding that it is quite possible for a woman to be completely alone in her journey to motherhood), her job, so to speak, is to offer support. This support comes in many forms and may include any one or all of the following (or some that are not mentioned):
*        help track contractions and help decide when to call the midwife or go to the hospital
*        help set up at home or get settled at the hospital
*        work with a partner to get both comfortable (but mostly mama)
*        provide cool cloths
*        remind mama to breathe
*        provide counter pressure
*        squeeze mama’s hips
*        help partner feel confident
*        watch television with family between contractions
*        take pictures
*        help clean up at home or protect the sacred hour at the hospital
*        provide words, arms, shoulders of encouragement
*        pour water over mama’s back or belly when in the tub
*        educate
*        provide massage
*        help with breastfeeding
*        answer questions
*        be aware/sensitive
*        share in the emotions
                       




What did you need when you became a mother or went through a major life change? What helped? What didn’t?
When I became a mother, I needed support. When my son was killed and the rest of us were spread out not only between hospitals but states as well, I needed support. I needed someone to listen. I needed someone to answer my honest questions. I needed someone to tell me that it would be alright. I needed someone to let me cry.
It is helpful when going through a major life change, and birth and death both are, to have someone to listen to you, to share your thoughts and feelings. It is certainly helpful to have someone come and take care of the mundane chores that need to be done but that can seem overwhelming. Having someone to take care of meals is a huge help. It is helpful having someone watch older children when there is a birth or to just be there for the children in other circumstances.
It is not helpful to have people tell you about their own experiences; the time for that will come later. It is not helpful to have people help take care of the baby (unless a mother has disabilities which necessitate this). It is not helpful to have people compare your situation to theirs. It is not helpful to suggest that life goes on; it either does (in birth) or it doesn’t (in death) and nothing anyone says is going to change that.
In light of the questions above, assess yourself. What do you already have? What do you need to work on? What do you need to think more about? Do you have personal issues that may interfere with your practice as a doula?

My goal in life is to be the best I can at whatever I do. In order to become an excellent doula and midwife, I feel that I need to do some growing. I have learned a little about trusting myself; I need to learn more. I have learned a little about listening; I need to learn more. I have learned a little about service; I need to learn more. I have learned a little about helping others; I need to learn more. I have learned a little; I need to learn a LOT more. I do not believe that I have any personal issues that will interfere with my practice as either a doula or a midwife; I feel that it is what I was called to do and now I need to do it.

No comments: