Thursday, January 31, 2013

Worth Noting


Have you ever walked out of the theater after watching a movie and felt absolutely invincible? I can’t speak for everyone and say that everyone has but I know that I have and from talking to Laura, I know she has also. I’m guessing that others have felt that way as well. It is an interesting feeling; somewhat similar to how I felt when I was driving from our home in New Mexico to the hospital in Farmington when Amena was three days old. It is somewhat similar to how I feel after experiencing or witnessing a birth or a death. You want to shout out to the world to witness what you have just witnessed; to become a better person because of what has just happened.

In two days we will be at eighteen months since Daniel’s death. I do not know why I am feeling it so much now but I am. I want to stand up and shout to the world. “Look at my boy! Look at his life! Behold the wonderful example he was. Take note!” Surely Daniel is one of the Great Ones.

Realistically, I know that there have been many multitudes of people born into this world and about as many leave it through death. The whole world cannot stop to take note of each and every birth and each and every death because they both surround us. Birth and death are both fairly common, everyday occurrences. According to Wikipedia, which I realize isn’t the most accurate source in the world, there are on average 353,015 babies born each day. That is about 14,709 each hour or 245 each minute. A lot. It seems a bit harder to figure out how many die each day but the number appears to be over 150,000. That is more than 6,000 each hour or 104 each minute. A lot.

However, to each of us individually, physical birth happens but once and a final physical death occurs but once. Surely that is worth noting.

No comments: