Monday, November 19, 2012

Thoughts from Sunday, November 18, 2012


We sang “Behold the Great Redeemer Die” today at church. In part, the words go like this: “Yet, if thou wilt, I’ll drink it up./I’ve done the work thou gavest me,”. This was particularly touching to me today because I’d been thinking of one of my favorite dead people today—Daniel. I was thinking that there are times I’d like to just crawl into a hole or dark corner or forgotten cave and not bother with anything because I miss Daniel and I wish so much that he could be here, physically, with us. I miss hearing his voice, I miss seeing his rare smiles. I miss watching his interactions with his brothers and sisters. I miss watching him pass the Sacrament at church. What is there about him not to miss? I realize that Jesus Christ did for us something that we cannot do for ourselves in his ultimate sacrifice and atonement. The pain and agony he suffered is incomprehensible to me, as a mere mortal. It was such that he would have not gone through with it had he been able to not. Yet, it was necessary and the Father could not “remove this cup.” This being the case, Christ continued on and did what only he could do; he drank. Knowing that part of the pain he suffered was for me is incredible. Knowing that even though many people would not take advantage of what he was offering, he still did it. How can I add to his pain by not accepting it? And yet it is hard, so hard. In spite of the arduous journey in front of me, I must drink my share. I must do the work that I have been given. How can I do less? Until I meet Daniel at some future date, I must carry on and do my best to get there.

No comments: