Thursday, November 6, 2014

Birth is Beautiful!

Good evening! The internet is being difficult today so I thought that I would write a bit here since I haven’t for a few days and because I have something to say for the other blog (this one). Fairly recently, I had a doula shift and when I called in was told that there was a Cesarean scheduled as well as an induction. Mind you, I’m not really telling you this and the only reason I am is because, well, you’ll see. Or read.
I fully meant to be there not later than 7:00 because I haven’t yet had the opportunity to be present for a Cesarean and would like to. Everything was going pretty well: I had Amena’s lunch made, the dogs and cats were fed and watered, I’d showered and was getting dressed. I was almost ready to go and Amena knocks on the door and says that she must have missed the bus. She was out at 6:25 and the Stanley boys across the street weren’t out so it must have already gone by (which is odd, because NO one heard it). Oh, dear! I finished dressing and we left. We didn’t catch up with it until it stopped by Hale Road and then there were three cars ahead of us. It isn’t likely Amena could have run up to the bus before it took off so she didn’t even try. There were no other stops (other than for stop signs) until the school so we were stuck driving the whole way. Not in my plans. Still, what was done was done and the best we can do is accept it and take responsibility for it.
So I went home and ate breakfast. Paul said he would call in and work from home so I didn’t have to get the boys to Joanna’s; she could come over whenever and help them with their work. She ended up taking them to her apartment and Paul had a nice quiet day. And I went to the hospital. Very late, but I did arrive.
I saw Karen on the way in and she mentioned a twin induction. Twins! Wow!
I was there in time to see the baby born via Cesarean. Nice looking baby; daddy was obviously pretty happy. I went in to introduce myself as the doula and was told, very nicely, that they did know about doulas but really didn’t want one because they had a good thing going.
That really is fine. Some do, some don’t. Some say no when they really ought to say yes, some say yes when they really ought to say no. Some don’t care. I am fine one way or another and said that I’d check in from time to time to see how things were going and that is what I did. I did get their recovery room ready and showed dad where it was.
The nurses got the OR ready for in case. I think the plan was for her to deliver there because you never know (this is hospital mentality, mind you, not what I necessarily believe) what might happen when dealing with twins.
I got quite a bit of knitting done but that came to an abrupt stop when chaos erupted. And chaos only erupted because the woman had requested an epidural after initially saying she’d like to go without. The anesthesiologist got up in record time but before he could do anything, the nurse thought she’d better check to see how things were progressing (I really like this nurse). She did and baby A was born! Less than ten minutes later, but after the doctor arrived, baby B was born! Oh my goodness! No time to move to the OR.
The only reason I am telling you this is because I wish every woman who is pregnant, has been pregnant, or may become pregnant, could have witnessed this woman in labor. The only noise I heard coming out of her room was the murmur of quiet voices and louder laughter. When I did step in to see how things were going, she was very relaxed, usually sitting in a rocking chair and she was up moving around quite a bit just going to use the toilet. No lying in bed, no complaining—just letting nature take its course. When things got intense enough that she wanted something for the pain or discomfort, she was ready to deliver. It was just incredible to behold even though I really didn’t get to behold it from the same room. She was right; she and her husband did not need a doula, they had a very good thing going on and it was beautiful. Even though I didn’t get to see it up close, I am so glad that I was at the hospital and was able to witness what I did.
I wish more people could see what I did; could understand that birth does not have to be filled with fear of the unknown.
I also tell you this because I know that there are hospitals in this country in which this woman would not have been allowed even a trial of labor. In many, maybe most, she would have been scheduled for a Cesarean. I am so glad that she was able to give birth where she did, in a place where she was able to not only attempt, but succeed in giving birth vaginally to twins. I wish that this were possible in all hospitals.

Have a great day, and tell someone that birth is beautiful!

No comments: