Thursday, December 9, 2010

Journal

It appears that writing a blog is something like writing a journal: sometimes it happens regularly, sometimes it doesn't. It also seems that the more is happening, and therefore there is more that should be written about, not as much gets written. Too bad this can't be remedied by multitasking. Actually, I suppose it could if you have a program such as Dragon and you can talk to your journal or blog while you are doing something else.

This picture was taken in August. Across the back are Daniel, Joseph, Joanna and Laura. In front are Cedric, Seth and Amena. It was a rainy day.

All of them were born at home and/or with a midwife.

Laura was born October 28, 1991. Present were her father, my mother, Liz Travis, the midwife, and Liz's assistant; I don't happen to remember her name at the moment. I remember that we had a big plastic sheet on the floor in the livingroom in order that I could squat during labor and delivery. At the time, although it was a good idea, I really didn't know enough about the whole process for it to work well. It is a good way to get a baby out but when I was squatting, it seemed that everything wanted to happen too fast and I wasn't ready for that. I also remember being on the bed wondering how I was ever going to finish the process. I'd given birth to Alisha five years earlier but when she was born, I really didn't know what I was doing or what to expect. With Laura, I knew what was ahead of me and I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to do it. Being pregnant was great but giving birth wasn't exactly on my list of favorite things to do.

More later.

No comments: