Sunday, March 3, 2013

Daniel's 16th Birthday Party

Honestly, it wasn't much of a party. It probably never is when the person of honor is physically absent and not able to add his persona to the occasion. Still, we did a pretty good job, I think. 

We had pepperoni pizza, which was Daniel's favorite while he was physically with us. He probably could have eaten a whole one by himself by now. What his favorite is now, I don't know but someday I'll find out.

We had cake, chocolate with chocolate frosting, and ice-cream, chocolate. We even had candles. 

We also sang Happy Birthday. It was pretty weak because I think most of us wanted to cry but we did it.

Last night when I made the cake, I probably could have salted it with my tears. And maybe some snot since our bodies make so much of it when we cry. Gross, you may think, but I swear while I was thinking it I could hear Daniel say, "Yeah, Mom, DO IT!" Maybe you have to know us well enough to understand our humor.

Anyway, this is the cake, with candles (they were, get this, in the FREEZER--go figure):


Here it is lit. We're going to have a forest fire soon, I tell you.

It was a group effort blowing out the blaze. 
And there you have it. I don't know what other families do, but this is one thing we will keep doing.


We love you, Daniel, from long ago in a galaxy far, far away to infinity and beyond.

No comments: